Saturday, January 24, 2009

"Could you look me in the eye and tell me that you're happy now?

"So you're in Highschool?"
"Yep, I'm a junior."
"Oh.. is that the first year?"
"Oh,not at all I'm almost done with highschool."
"I don't want to go highschool."
"Well why not? I think it's much more fun than sixth grade."
"I'm scared Miss Hannah."
"Why is that?"
"I've seen movies, I don't like how mean everyone is."
"But Gavin, high school is not all like the movies."
"But I saw Mean Girls. Are there mean girls in high school?"
"Well, there are a lot of different types of people in high school. But as long as you have a few good friends, and just try to get along with everyone, you'll be fine."
"I don't know Miss Hannah."



This was probably the most meaningful conversation of my week. It just killed me to hear a tiny 11 year old say this, coupled with the most distraught look on his face. I didn't want to lie to him. I knew I had to tell him the truth, but it was so hard. Letting people down is something I try really hard to avoid, but this wasn't even my own doing. It's just the way everything is. High school is high school by no fault of my own. I think that's the worst part of it all.

No comments: