Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lou.

Today the girls and I went to park Kingsburg with a plan to give manicures to elderly ladies. I was excited, as I tend to enjoy the company of elderly people as opposed to people my own age. In the past month I've learned a lot from my little monsters at Reagan, and that pleases me. But in a day, I learned just about as uch from two elderly ladies. My opinion of getting older was changed. I've never seen myself getting older. I see myself at 20. at 30. at 40. Then that's about it. I've always thought that I would die young. I'm not looking forward to it. But I'm not scared either. It's always just been something I've felt like I've known. And everyone's always told me, well if you think that way, you will die young! I don't buy into that. I've just come to accept it. Too add to it, I've never really wanted to get old. Because if I do, I know I'll be in constant pain. Even now at 16 if I don't take aleve or aspirin in the morning my days are miserable. My back has already given out on me, through fault of my own, but nonetheless it's given out.

But maybe I'm meant to get old. Maybe somehow my back will get better. And my knees and my ankles. Today one of the older ladies, Nancy said, "When you get older, you get to act like old people." "Hows that?" "Crazy." Then I found out she was 100 years old. That made me happy, but what really got me thinking was something that the lady who I gave a manicure to, Lou, said.

"It's not age. It has nothing to do with age. It's the mindset. My friends say 'Lou, how are you so active? It hurts to walk and be active anymore, I'm old and I can't do those things like that.' If you think you can't do things, you won't be able to. I know I'm old, but I don't think I'm old."

No comments: